Arkansas Contractors License Exam and Builders Licenses
Who Needs a License?
Arkansas requires a contractor’s license for all commercial and residential projects which cost $20,000 or more. We work with thousands of people like you each year and help them reach their objective of becoming a licensed contractor.
To order your test preparation Click Here
How to Acquire Your Arkansas Builders License
The following are the requirements to obtain your Arkansas Residential Builders license:
- Successfully complete the Arkansas construction license exam that measures your knowledge of the profession. Pre-approval by the licensing board is required before taking the exam.
2. Complete a Contractor’s License application. Applications can be obtained from:
Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board
4100 Richards Road North Little Rock, AR 72117
Phone: (501) 372-4661
Fax: (501) 372-2247
- Complete the application from the Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board. Submit application fee and applicable documents to the board including the following:
- Provide 3 written references showing 4 years experience.
- Provide a current balance sheet with a positive net worth.
- Complete the registration form and mail to Thomson Prometric with your exam fee.
To register for the Arkansas contractors license exam contact:
Attn: AR Contractor Program
1260 Energy Lane
St. Paul, MN 55108
Phone: (800) 280-3926 (Paper/Pencil)
Phone: (888) 763-0131 (Computerized)
Fax: (800) 813-6670
Note: Be prepared to provide the Program Name: AR04 and the Exam Code: 100, Business and Law.
Arkansas Builders License examinations are at the following locations:
- Little Rock
- Fort Smith
Taking the Arkansas Contractors License Exam
You have studied diligently and are ready to take the Arkansas builders license exam. You can arrive with confidence knowing that you are prepared for whatever questions may appear on the test. To be successful you must:
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled testing time.
- Present two (2) valid forms of identification when you arrive at the testing center.
- Name on the application must exactly match the name on the photo ID used to check in
- You must answer at least 35 of the 50 questions correctly.
- Have a minimum passing score of 70%.
- For computerized testing, you will receive an unofficial score immediately following the exam.
- For paper-and-pencil testing, a score report will be mailed to you approximately 10 days after your exam.
Receiving Your Arkansas Contractors License
Once you have successfully passed the Arkansas construction license exam, you will need to mail your test results with your completed application and license fee to the Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board. The Contractor Licensing Board will process your application and notify you by mail that your license has been issued.
Traps to Avoid
It is a common misconception that since the Arkansas builders license exam is open book; it is not difficult to pass. In reality the contractors test is more difficult to pass than closed book exams due to the fact that you have a book available as a resource during the contractor exam. You are permitted to bring certain reference material into the exam.
The reference materials may be:
- Highlighted, underlined, or indexed to assist you in finding information quickly.
- The book may not be written in and may not contain any additional papers.
- Do not use sticky notes or Post It’s to index your books. They are not permitted and you will be asked to remove them at the test center.
- You are required to bring your own reference materials because they are not available at the testing center.
We recommend purchasing NASCLA Business and Project Management, Arkansas Builder Licensure Board and using it together with our course to give you the greatest chance of passing the builders license test the first time. This book is allowed into the Arkansas construction license exam.
If you forget the answer to a question during the builder’s license exam, having this reference book will allow you to quickly find the answer and complete the Arkansas construction license exam within the time allowed.
In construction the saying, “Do it right the first time” is often heard. We believe it also applies to getting your Residential Builders License.